Storage building and woods on Platinum Street caught fire


For The Press and Standard

An unattended woods fire spread to several properties in the 100 block of Platinum Street, Wednesday afternoon 08-March at 15:12. The first callers to 9-1-1 reported the woods fire and a second caller advised an outside storage building was on fire. The incident was upgraded to a structural response. Smoke from the fire affected the nearby Veterans Victory House nursing home. Engine 19 arrived to find the several acre woods fire and a storage building well involved. Firefighters deployed multiple handlines to combat both the building fire and woods fire. The storage building had a heavy fire load and most of the items inside were damaged. A tractor from the Forestry Commission was also requested. Firefighters prevented the fire from reaching any homes. No injuries were reported.