Early morning fire injures Colleton man

Posted

By HEATHER RUPPE

A Colleton resident who was trying to keep warm in last week’s cold weather unintentionally started a fire that destroyed a storage building and then spread to a patch of nearby woods.

The incident occurred near the 600-block of Phllips Road at about 3:47 a.m. on Friday, Nov. 5th.

“Callers to 911 reported the building was well-involved and responding units could see the fire two miles before they reached the scene,” said Barry McRoy, director of Colleton County Fire-Rescue, the agency that responded to the fire.

According to McRoy, a Colleton resident awoke to the flames and then attempted to extinguish the fire. He received burns to his hands, and was treated at the scene by firefighter-paramedics. That man was then transported to Colleton Medical Center for further medical treatment.

The fire spread to a patch of woods, and the building was completely destroyed.

Firefighters ultimately extinguished the flames after fighting it for nearly three hours.

Comments

No comments on this item Please log in to comment by clicking here