Two burned in Lodge mobile home fire on Dec. 1


Two people were burned and a singlewide mobile home was destroyed in an evening fire in the 8900 block of Lodge Highway in the Town of Lodge Thursday Dec. 1.

At 10:51 p.m., Colleton County 9-1-1 was notified of the fire. The original call was routed to Bamberg County 9-1-1.

A father awakened to smoke and heat in the home and discovered a fire in an infant’s bedroom. He said the bassinet was already melting. He was able to quickly save his daughter and exit the burning structure, along with the child’s mother. Flames and smoke were coming from the residence.

Neighbors used a garden hose in an attempt to control the flames. Engine 18 arrived to find the singlewide mobile home well involved.

The infant girl received severe burns and the father also received burns during the rescue of his daughter. Firefighter-paramedics treated both at the scene and requested a medical helicopter for the child. CARE Flight was not available and Meducare had an extended time of arrival, so both patients were then transported by ambulance to the Lowcountry Regional Airport near Walterboro to meet with the Meducare helicopter. The baby was flown to the Shawn Jenkins Children’s Trauma Center at MUSC. The father was transported by ambulance to the Adult Trauma Center at MUSC.

Firefighters at the scene used multiple handlines to extinguish the fire in the mobile home. Water supply was conducted with tenders.

Two vehicles near the residence were destroyed and a third vehicle was damaged. The residence was destroyed.

The origin of the fire appears to have been in the area of a space heater. The home had no working smoke alarms.

Residents are reminded that Fire-Rescue installs smoke alarms in homes in the fire district at no charge. County residents can call Fire-Rescue Headquarters at (843) 539-1960 to set up an appointment to have smoke alarms installed in their home.