“A group of fleas are placed in a jar with a lid on it. The fleas initially try to jump out of the jar, but they keep hitting their heads on the lid. Eventually, the fleas stop jumping as high and learn to live within the confines of the jar. One day, the lid is removed from the jar, and the fleas are free to jump as high as they want. However, even though they are no longer confined by the lid, the fleas continue to jump only as high as the lid used to be, as this has become the limit that they have imposed on themselves. This story is often used as a metaphor for how our own beliefs and limiting thoughts can hold us back from achieving our full potential. Just like the fleas, we can become so used to living within certain limitations that we may not even realize we are capable of breaking free from them” (Sourcesofinsight.com).
Placing limitations on ourselves is what the enemy wants us to do! According to Luke 1:37 (ESV): For nothing will be impossible with God. Therefore, if nothing is impossible with God, why do we place limits on ourselves? Through effectual, fervent prayer and the gift of the Holy Spirit, we can achieve anything that is of God that we desire. The enemy can place doubt in our minds, but that can only happen if we allow it.
For several years, I wanted to write and publish a book that would teach, inspire, motivate, and encourage others. I kept doubting myself. When I started writing for The Press and Standard on the “Faith and Values” page, I would run into several of my readers who would tell me how much my articles were helping and encouraging them. Some kept asking me when was I going to write a book. Family members and friends continued to ask the same question. I prayed about it and finally shook off the limitations that had me bound. In July 2023 my book, A Calming Effect, was published! To God be the Glory …!
If you’re struggling to comprehend your potential to live and become more like God, you’re not the only one. Believe in the Heavenly Father, and trust the process. As you continue to grow in Christ and realize your potential, remain focused on the following verses of Scripture:
• Psalm 147:5—Great is our Lord and abundant in strength; His understanding is infinite.
• John 3:34— For the one whom God has sent speaks the words of God; for God gives the Spirit without limit.
• Matthew 19:26—But Jesus looked at them and said, With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.
• Ephesians 3:20—Now to him who can do far more abundantly than all that we ask or think, according to the power at work within us.
• Isaiah 45:1—This is what the LORD says to Cyrus, his anointed one, whose right hand he will empower. Before him, mighty kings will be paralyzed with fear. Their fortress gates will be opened, never to shut again.
Don’t be like the fleas in the jar! When the enemy comes again trying to place limitations upon you, look him straight into his eyes, and let him know this: God’s capabilities are boundless, His wisdom is infinite, His mercies will never fail you, and anything is possible with God. Always abound in the faith, and never leave home without Him!