Family loses everything

Posted

A Walterboro family lost most of their belongings in an early morning fire in their mobile home at 212 Chestnut Road Monday June 22.

At 1:19 a.m., 9-1-1 received a report of a home on fire. The first unit arrived several minutes later to find heavy smoke and flames coming from the windows on the front of the singlewide mobile home.

All of the occupants were able to safely exit the structure prior to the arrival of Fire-Rescue.

Firefighter-paramedics deployed a single handline and entered the structure through the front door. They knocked down the flames within a few minutes, containing most of the damage to the center of the mobile home. The bedrooms on each end of the structure were saved, but the contents suffered heat, smoke and water damage.

Firefighter-paramedics treated one of the occupants at the scene, but she denied transport to the hospital.

The fire is believed to have started after curtains were ignited by a candle on a table near the front window. The fire spread to an adjacent sofa which then spread to the remainder of the room.

Units were on the scene for two hours.

Comments

No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment