Colleton County Youth Credited with Saving Home


Chase Spooner is credited with helping save a Sidneys Road home from a fire the afternoon of Oct. 30.

Colleton County Fire-Rescue reported that Chase and his mother were traveling on Sidneys Road toward the Veterans Victory House at 6:10 p.m. when Chase told his mother he saw a house on fire. His mother turned their vehicle around and saw flames coming from the window of the home.

Chase’s mother called 911 and went to check on the homeowner. When a neighbor advised the resident should be at home, Chase’s mother broke a window and attempted to get a response from anyone inside.

Colleton County Fire-Rescue believe the fire originated in the bedroom. The bedroom door was closed, which helped contain the fire to the room of origin.

Fire personnel said they quickly extinguished the fire in the bedroom. The bedroom suffered moderate damage. There was no fire extension into any other part of the residence.

For more information visit