Family Displaced after Akins Lane Fire


A family of four was displaced following a fire in their home on Akins Ln Wednesday, November 29. Engine 13 find fire at the front of the single-story wood structure. Firefighter-Paramedics deployed and quickly knocked down the fire on the exterior of the building and made entry through the front door to extinguish the fire inside the structure. The fire started from an interior electrical circuit in the wall near the breaker box and spread into the main room of the house and the attic. Crews were able to contain most of the fire damage to the two front rooms, however the remainder of the home suffered from smoke and heat damage. The electrical service line burned in half and fell in the yard energizing a car in the yard and continued to arc until crews from Coastal Electric Company were able to disconnect the power. The car eventually caught fire as well and suffered substantial damage. Many personal items were saved. The occupants noticed the fire and were able to safely exit the home, so no injuries were reported. The Red Cross is assisting the family.

For more information visit