Trash fire jumps to lawn, destroying nearby property



A trash fire that got out of control at a Smoaks residence last week destroyed a truck and a storage building. The fire began as a controlled trash fire, and was burning in a 55-gallon drum. However, the trash spread from the drum to nearby grass that was very dry, setting the entire yard of the Advent Road residence on fire, according to Barry McRoy, director of Colleton County Fire-Rescue.

The fire then quickly spread to a nearby storage building and to vehicles that were parked in the yard.

The entire 12x12 storage building was destroyed, including all contents.

When firefighter-paramedics arrived, they also found a pickup truck fully engulfed with flames. A second vehicle was also damaged from the flames.

No one was injured in the fire. Firefighters were on scene for nearly two hours.