Sure Shots shooter turns himself in


By Heather Ruppe

The person accused of fatally shooting a Colleton man at a local club has been taken into custody.

Shannon Kinnard, 39, of Walterboro, is charged with murder and possession of a weapon during the commission of a violent crime.

He turned himself into local authorities on August 3.

According to the Colleton County Sheriff’s Office, Kinnard is accused of shooting to death a Walterboro man on July 31 at about 2 a.m. The shooting occurred at the Sure Shots pool hall, 4198 Sniders Hwy., Walterboro.

The shooting victim has been identified as Dexter Lynah Jr., according to Colleton County Coroner Richard Harvey.

Lynah Jr., 23, had just graduated in May from S.C. State University in Orangeburg with a bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering technology. He had also received the Presidential Scholar Award at S.C. State University for three consecutive years, as a Dr. Emily England Clyburn Honors College Scholar. He was a graduate of Colleton County High School.

According to reports from the Colleton County Sheriff’s Office, Kinnard apparently shot Lynah inside the bar after the two argued about a game of pool. Kinnard then allegedly followed Lynah outside to the parking lot, where he shot him a second time.

Kinnard then fled the crime scene.

In this same incident, Kinard is also accused of critically injuring an unidentified woman who was at the pool hall. Her medical condition is not known.

According to Barry McRoy, chief of Colleton County Fire-Rescue, initial 911-callers who reported the fatal shooting stated that one person had been shot inside the bar and another person was injured. “Firefighter-paramedics found a male patient in critical condition who suffered gunshot wounds, inside the establishment … a female patient was outside the building with a broken leg,” said McRoy.

Firefighter-paramedics gave the gunshot victim IV fluids and whole blood and then transported him to the trauma center at Trident Medical Center, where he later died.

The female patient was also transported to Trident Medical Center.

Shalane Tindal, spokeswoman for the Colleton County Sheriff’s Office, said this remains an ongoing investigation.