Smoke alarm saves family from house fire

Posted

By HEATHER WALTERS 

County fire officials are crediting a working smoke alarm for saving a Green Pond residence. 

On Wednesday, April 7, a smoke alarm inside a house woke up the family, who was sleeping inside. 

“They found smoke in the residence and, upon attempting to exit, they found the back of the home on fire with flames around the rear door,” said Colleton County Fire-Rescue Chief Barry McRoy. 

“They were able to safely exit through the front door and notify 911.” 

Firefighter-paramedics from Colleton County Fire-Rescue arrived “minutes later” to the Ivenia Brown Road residence, McRoy said. The back of the single-wide mobile home was engulfed in flames. 

In less than 10 minutes from the time they arrived on scene, firefighters had the flames under control. 

According to McRoy, the fire caused some structural and electrical damage: about 10 feet of the back of the house was burned. 

Some of the family’s furniture and appliances also burned in the fire; however, most of the entire house sustained smoke damage. 

No one was injured in the flames. 

McRoy said the fire appears to have started on the wooden back porch, destroying the steps to the porch and also traveling a short distance into the yard.

Comments

No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment


X