Round O man saved by neighbor, loses everything in house fire

Posted

By HEATHER RUPPE

A Round O man was saved by his neighbor from a house fire that occurred early Sunday morning.

The small house, located near the 500-block of Rowe Lane in Round O, was filled with flames and was already partially collapsed when firefighter-paramedics arrived on scene at 5:25 a.m.

According to Colleton County Fire-Rescue Director Barry McRoy, the man was asleep in his bed when his neighbor woke him and let him know the house was on fire. The house was located off of the main road and sat close to other buildings and make-shift housing in that area.

“The fire spread to materials next to the building,” said McRoy. “We used handlines and went 200-feet into the wooded area to reach the building.”

That neighbor, who is unidentified, received burns on his hands and on his feet while entering the house to save the victim, said McRoy. The neighbor was treated at scene and then transported to Colleton Medical Center for further medical treatment.

The victim was not harmed in the fire; however, he lost all of his belongings in the fire.

According to McRoy, the fire appears to have started in an area of the house near a wood-burning stove.

“He lost everything,” McRoy said, of the homeowner.

The American Red Cross is assisting the man with shelter and temporary clothing.

To help with this process, contact the American Red Cross at 843-764-2323.

Comments

No comments on this item Please log in to comment by clicking here


X