Off-Duty fireman saves house from fire

Posted

By HEATHER RUPPE

An off-duty fireman with Colleton County Fire-Rescue helped to save this rural Colleton County house from being destroyed by fire.
On Sunday, June 13th, the off-duty fireman was driving past this house, located in the 500 block of Bonnie Doone Road, when he was smoke coming from the inside of the doublewide mobile home.
That fireman then notified 911. He also stopped at the house and notified the homeowner of the smoke. Together, he and the homeowner used buckets of water to douse the flames and slow the fire’s spread.
The fire was contained to the utility room.
“Engine 19 arrived about seven minutes later,” said Colleton County Fire-Rescue Chief Barry McRoy. “Firefighters removed smoldering debris from the clothes dryer and performed overhaul in the room of origin.” According to McRoy, firemen used a large PPV fan to remove smoke from inside the house.
“The utility room received moderate damage, but the remainder of the home had only light smoke damage,” he said.
According to McRoy, the fire appears to have started in the dryer in the utility room.
No injuries were reported. 

Comments

No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment


X