Based on the recent weeks of rain and flooding in Colleton County and the warmer than usual temperatures, Colleton County Animal Services has commenced the county’s abatement program earlier than normal this year. Beginning March 18, the Colleton County residents may request for mosquito spraying to kill adult mosquitoes by calling 843-893-2651 and pressing 1 or by completing the online form offered on the county website at https://www.colletoncounty.org/mosquito-spray-request.
The following restrictions apply to the program:
• The mosquito control truck can come on your driveway and follow your driveway. Drivers are not permitted to leave the resident’s driveway.
• Spraying is done after dark from 7:30-12:30 p.m. when temperatures are above 60 degrees, not raining and/or winds are below 10 mph.
• The following areas cannot be sprayed: areas surrounding a pond; within 1/4-mile radius of a registered beehive; or unoccupied property.
• Spray requests can be repeated after four weeks.
• Spray requests for special occasions should be made at least one week prior to the event.
• Residents must provide a street address, city, zip code and phone number with the request. Incomplete requests will not be honored. House numbers must be visible from the road in order for drivers to locate your address.
• Animal Services does not spray for insects other than mosquitos, such as love bugs, white flies and deer flies.
In addition to being annoying and uncomfortable, mosquito bites have the potential to spread disease and therefore can be a public health issue if not controlled.
Colleton County employs two people part-time to perform mosquito spraying for the county. The county provides this service to the public at no charge in order to decrease the population of mosquitoes.
The chemical used may or may not eliminate other insects but is harmful to bees. Residents with bee hives are asked to call 843-893-2651 to register with the Animal Services office so that spraying does not occur within ¼ mile of those hives.
Residents of Edisto Beach are serviced by the Town of Edisto. It is unknown at this time when Edisto’s program will commence.