Homeowner saves his house with a garden hose

Posted

By Heather Ruppe

A Colleton County homeowner used a garden hose to help fight back the flames inside his house in a Father’s Day fire.

Firefighter-rescue crews were called to the Short Lane residence on Sunday, June 19 to a house fire. When they arrived, crews found the fire inside a bedroom in the mobile home.

“Crews quickly knocked down the remaining fire, containing it to the bedroom,” said Barry McRoy, chief of Colleton County Fire-Rescue. “The homeowner used a garden hose and sprayed water through the window, keeping the flames down until Fire-Rescue arrived. His efforts kept the fire from spreading.”

According to McRoy, the fire started from electrical wires in the wall and then spread to a bed. “The wall received substantial damage and the bed was burned,” he said, adding that the fire crews removed the bed through an open window in the house. The rest of the house received smoke damage, but nearly all the homeowners’ personal items were saved. No one was injured in the fire.


X