Homeowner left picking up the pieces after house fire

Posted

By HEATHER WALTERS

An elderly Colleton County man lost his home and all of his belongings in a house fire last week.

Firefighters received a 911-emergency call on Wednesday, Nov. 17th about flames coming from the roof of a house in the 200-block of Deloach Avenue near Walterboro. Neighbors alerted the 94-year-old homeowner and got him out of the house before firefighters arrived. “Fire-Rescue units arrived minutes later, but were unable to access the structure due to low-hanging trees at the driveway,” said Barry McRoy, director of Colleton County Fire-Rescue. Firefighters discovered the one-story house was already almost entirely filled with flames, and used 150-feet of hose to reach the house from the end of the driveway.

Two vintage automobiles were destroyed in the fire, as was the majority of the house, including the living room, garage, and kitchen. “The cause appears to have been electrical failure in and around the garage,” said McRoy.

According to McRoy, the homeowner had no insurance.

The victim is being helped by the American Red Cross.

Comments

No comments on this item Please log in to comment by clicking here


X