Fire crews work together to fight woods, business fire

Posted

By HEATHER RUPPE

A Walterboro business caught fire last week from a nearby burn barrel that was left unattended as it burned debris.

On March 30th, at about 12:18 p.m., firefighters from both the Walterboro Police Department and Colleton County Fire-Rescue were called to an area around Acorn Road and Sniders Highway. The original 911-report stated there was a fire at the former Palms Inn Motel, which is in the jurisdiction of the City of Walterboro. Walterboro Fire Department firetrucks arrived first, and then verified with authorities that this fire was in the county’s jurisdiction.

Firefighters then tackled the fire, and reported there was a large woods fire and debris fire happening behind the business. “Engine 26 deployed multiple handlines to the building, while Walterboro Fire Department Engine 2 deployed a line from the motel parking lot to combat the fire behind the building,” said Colleton County Fire-Rescue Chief Barry McRoy.

Walterboro firefighters also set up a ladder. In all, firefighters worked for about 25 minutes to bring the fire under control, said McRoy.

According to him, the fire started from an unattended burn barrel behind the business. High winds helped to spread the fire to the building: the fire damaged the business’s roof and some of the offices.

Firefighters were on scene for nearly three hours fighting the blaze.

No one was injured.


X