Crumbley Rd Fire


On Tuesday, Dec. 20 at approximately8:28 p.m. an adult male received serious burns during an explosion inside his home. 9-1-1 was notified of a residence on fire in the 100 block of Crumbley Road. The caller advised a man had been burned. Engine 30 arrived minutes later to find heavy smoke conditions and flames coming from the doublewide mobile home. The injured man was in the front yard. His next-door neighbors heard the explosion and ran to assist him. They were providing care when Fire-Rescue arrived. Firefighter-Paramedics deployed two handlines to the building, while other crew members treated the man’s burns. Crews initially knocked down the flames on the exterior of the building and then entered the structure to finish extinguishing the fire. The man advised he was transferring LP gas from a larger cylinder to smaller cylinders when one exploded. Firefighter-Paramedics transported him emergent to the Burn Center at MUSC in Charleston in Fire-Rescue Medic 6. Other units were on the scene for over three hours performing overhaul. Firefighters stopped the spread of the fire and saved many belongings, but the home suffered substantial damage.