Candle believed to be culprit in weekend house fire

Posted

BY HEATHER RUPPE

A Colleton County house was saved from fire this past weekend.

Firefighter-paramedics were called to the house, located along the 600 block of Capers Road, on Sunday, Nov. 7th when they were alerted to a fire in the upstairs bedroom. “On arrival, Engine 1 found light smoke coming from the eaves of the two-story structure,” said Colleton County Fire-Rescue Chief Barry McRoy. “Firefighter-Paramedics deployed one handline through the front door and encountered high heat and heavy smoke conditions on the second floor. Visibility on the second floor was zero,” he said. Firefighters located the fire inside a bedroom and extinguished the flames. Crews then pulled a portion of the ceiling in the bedroom and the hallway, but McRoy said there was no fire activity into the attic. According to McRoy, the homeowners’ daughter was at home when the fire occurred. “She discovered the flames on a bed in the room. She closed the bedroom door, which fire officials credit with keeping the fire contained in the room of origin until Firefighters were able to extinguish it,” he said.

The girl also called 911: at the time, firefighters and fire engines were in route to the Veterans Day parade, which was happening in the City of Walterboro.

McRoy said the fire is believed to have been started by a candle, which was left burning near a bed.

“The upstairs of the home suffered heat and smoke damage, however the first story received little damage,” he said.

Comments

No comments on this item Please log in to comment by clicking here