American Red Cross helping Green Pond family after house fire

Posted

By HEATHER RUPPE

Three men are homeless after their Green Pond house burned to the ground last week.

The fire occurred at about 10:45 a.m. on Nov. 11th at 94 Gobber Circle, located in Green Pond. One person discovered the fire, which was in a bedroom of the house. After calling 911, that person and two other men who lived in the home were able to safely escape.

Firefighters arrived and found the house about 35-percent involved, or full of flames, according to Colleton County Fire-Rescue Director Barry McRoy.

“…there were flames through the roof on the east side of the building,” said McRoy. “The home had two additions and a second metal roof installed over the original metal roof.”

Crews entered through the front door of the house and had the fire under control within 20 minutes, said McRoy. However, the fire burned between two metal roofs, making it more difficult for crews to extinguish the fire, he said.

“The fire appears to have started in the area of a space heater in a bedroom in the addition,” he said.

According to McRoy, the interior of the house has smoke and heat damage and most personal items were damaged.

The American Red Cross is assisting the family.

In all, fire crews were on scene for about four hours.


X