Damage minimal at Edisto Beach

by | September 12, 2019 5:00 am

Last Updated: September 11, 2019 at 9:42 am

“Our damage was minimal compared to other storms,” said Edisto Beach Mayor Jane Darby.
The dunes protected Palmetto Boulevard except on the very northern end of the beach where they had been disturbed. There was very little flooding as the surge came at a negative tide and the lagoons did not overflow, but there was lots of debris with trees falling and taking out power lines including the town’s computer service, she said. “We were able maintain the water and sewage services. Dominion was pre-staged and ready to start repairs, so most everyone had power by Sunday. Most of the businesses have cleaned up, restocked and are either open or opening this week.”
The state park will reopen Monday Sept. 16.
“Over all we feel the we dodged the ‘big one’ by God’s grace,” Darby said. “We are so very thankful for Colleton County and the State of S.C., particularly DOT, for their assistance in a rapid recovery.”

No comments yet.


By submitting a comment you grant Walterboro Live a perpetual license to reproduce your words and name/web site in attribution. Inappropriate and irrelevant comments will be removed at an admin’s discretion. Your email is used for verification purposes only, it will never be shared.

© Copyright 2019 | Walterboro Live