Board approves new start/end times for next school year | News | The Press and Standard

by | March 23, 2018 10:33 am

The Colleton County School Board approved the following start and end times for the 2018-2019 school year at Tuesday night’s meeting:
Early Childhood Center: 7:30 a.m. to 1:55 p.m.
All Elementary Schools: 7:30 a.m. to 2:15 p.m.
Middle School: 8:30 a.m.-3:15 p.m.
High School: 8:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m.

1. Comment by Scott Bailey

March 23, 2018 at 3:37 pm

How is a working mother and father supposed to pick kids up that early. This is ridiculous to scatter the times like this. At least change the high school to get out early so they can help pick younger children up.

2. Comment by Erin

March 23, 2018 at 7:14 pm

I have one in elementary and one in high school next year. How am I supposed to miss 3 hours of work A DAY to drop off and pick up my chidren?! Not to mention what am i supposed to do with my younger child ?!

3. Comment by Lisa

March 23, 2018 at 8:10 pm

This is horrible for working parents. Does this have to do with shortage of bus drivers?

4. Comment by Marsha

March 23, 2018 at 8:57 pm

Guess I’m going to be late for work every-day!

5. Comment by Ashleigh

March 23, 2018 at 9:16 pm

So we all wait in town for an hour between pickups? I hope this plan backfires for all of them!

6. Comment by SW

March 24, 2018 at 5:25 am

I am hoping that all of you that are complaining were at the town hall meetings, which were publicly announced, and voted on this. If you were not, you have lost your say in this matter. I do,however, agree with the comment about letting high school out earlier to help with younger child pick up. Working parents can not miss that amount of time each day.

7. Comment by Scott

March 24, 2018 at 6:39 am

When setting meetings for voting, I feel that the announcement is put out publicly in a news paper that not many people with kids in school even reads anymore. A letter should of went home with kids about the vote. I would of voted against it if I had .

8. Comment by Monique

March 24, 2018 at 6:44 pm

Unfortunately they couldn’t please or accommodate everyone’s request. Something has to be done so that more children can get to school on time that ride buses. There have been numerous days this year that our bus was late for a double run. I leave for work early in the morning and see little children out at bus stops at 6 (in the dark), which is not safe or fair for them. I’ve also seen kids getting home as late as 6 in the evening. If not a staggering schedule, then what? We sure don’t have enough drivers now, so we can’t keep doing what we are doing now because it’s NOT working.

9. Comment by Scott

March 24, 2018 at 9:54 pm

Then assign pickup and drop off locations through out the areas. For instance find out who owns the old Reid’s parking lot and have kids get dropped off and picked from there. In cottageville I see a bus stop every two blocks on my way to work in the morning. Get those kids to meet at one location less stops that way. Or just hire a better transportation director to make the job happen. By selecting stops and locations in multiple areas for pick up and drop off you would be running some what of a CARTA system thus eliminating the backed up traffic on local roads at school sites. Like in Forest Hills, and Black Street. Parents can at least find a way to get their kids a couple blocks to a drop site. This is going to push more parents into poverty for looking their jobs. God knows there are not many good jobs around here so most parents work out of town.

10. Comment by Holly

March 26, 2018 at 12:31 am

So yall can make this happen it no time. So why cant yall ever listen to parents about the uniforms me as a parent with 5 kids it is ridiculous that I have to buy school uniforms then turn around and buy outfits for them to wear when they not in school that’s two sets of clothes per kid I have to buy it makes no sense The Bullying isn’t about clothes so why are we still doing uniforms why can’t y’all make it where kids can wear their regular clothes again.

The comments are closed.