GoFundMe account established to help woman who lost home to fire | News | The Press and Standard

by | September 28, 2017 12:14 pm

A Ruffin family was displaced following an afternoon fire that destroyed half of the home Wednesday Sept. 27.
At 3:05 p.m., Fire-Rescue was notified of the incident when a neighbor noticed flames coming from the roof of the home at 413 Double Churches Road. Engine 18 arrived minutes later to find heavy fire conditions on the west side of the single-story home. The roof over the garage had already collapsed.
Crews made an aggressive interior attack and stopped the spread of the fire approximately half the way through the residence. The fire was already burning in the attic, so crews used ladders to reach the flames spreading through the attic.
The fire was under control within 25 minutes. A search of the building found no occupants, however two canines perished in the fire. Firefighters buried the animals for the homeowner.
The fire appears to have started in the area of the electrical panel in the garage then moved into the attic from the garage.
Firefighters stopped the fire approximately midway through the home, saving the rooms on the east side of the structure and some personal items. The remainder of the home suffered smoke, heat and water damage.
Fire units were on the scene for four hours.
Family members of the homeowner, Cindy Cummings, have established a Go Fund Me account at https://www.gofundme.com/CindyCummings to seek donations to assist in covering the gap between her insurance coverage and the total cost of restoring the family home. Cummings has been employed as a greeter at the local Walmart for the past decade and was at work when fire struck her home.

No comments yet.


The comments are closed.

© Copyright 2018 | Walterboro Live