A bad day for hauling cars… | News | The Press and Standard

by | September 6, 2017 5:00 pm

Last Updated: September 6, 2017 at 11:37 am

Aug. 30 was not a good day to be hauling cars on I-95.
The problems began Aug. 30 at 6:24 p.m. when a truck transporting new vehicles caught fire in the southbound lanes near the 50-mile marker.
The truck driver pulled into the breakdown lane and was able to remove one of the new BMW SUVs from the trailer. The fire started in the transport truck’s wheel assembly and quickly spread to the vehicle directly above the wheels.
As that vehicle became well involved, the fire spread to the SUV stored above it. Several other truck drivers stopped and used portable fire extinguishers in an attempt to control the fire.
The first fire engine on the scene found the trailer and two SUVs burning. Fire crews deployed two handlines and quickly knocked down the flames, but the trailer and two new cars were heavily damaged and a third car received moderate damage.
Southbound traffic on I-95 was stopped for about 20 minutes and was then down to one lane for about 45 minutes.
As firefighters were clearing that scene about 8 p.m., dispatchers were reporting an accident two miles away.
Firefighters arrived at the 52-mile marker to find the southbound lanes of I-95 littered with fruit drinks and damaged cars.
A tractor-trailer carrying a load of fruit drinks was rear-ended by a smaller automobile transporter, causing heavy damage to the rear and side of the trailer and causing several pallets of fruit drinks to spill onto the highway.
One vehicle from the auto carrier was knocked from the trailer and was overturned in the median. A second vehicle was hanging from the side of the trailer.
The F-450 truck that was towing the automobile carrier received a breach in the fuel tank and spilled approximately 15-20 gallons of diesel fuel on the highway.
Two other vehicles were also damaged and not drivable.
Two people complained of minor injuries and were evaluated by firefighter-paramedics at the scene, but did not require ambulance transportation to the hospital.
The highway was blocked for several hours with traffic was diverted to the breakdown lane until the accident site was cleared.
The South Carolina Highway Patrol and State Transport Police investigated the collision.

No comments yet.

The comments are closed.

© Copyright 2018 | Walterboro Live