Will eclipse draw out Bigfoot? Three Colleton sightings reported in past | News | The Press and Standard

by | August 19, 2017 5:00 am

Last Updated: August 16, 2017 at 10:58 am

Will the eclipse force Bigfoot out of the woods?
Probably not, but stories have been circulating on the web involving law enforcement encouraging people not to shoot at any potential Bigfoots during Monday’s dark phase.
However, over the years, there have been three Colleton County Bigfoot sightings reported to the Bigfoot Field Researchers Organization. The summaries of those sightings from the BFRO website follow:

Feb. 11, 2005
STATE: South Carolina
COUNTY: Colleton County
LOCATION DETAILS: Unknown what the stand number was but could hear occasional boat traffic on the river
NEAREST ROAD: Cross Swamp Rd

OBSERVED: I was hunting for Feral pigs at the Cinnamon Ridge Hunting lodge in Ehrhardt. We had not seen any hogs the first day, so on the second day we hunted in the swamp.
On the way over in the morning, our guide was telling us about strange noises he had heard back in the area while hunting himself. I love to hunt in the swamps for deer and ducks and have for years.
At about 5:30 p.m., I started hearing several great horned owls calling back and forth in the area behind me, which is swamp. My stand was located on a dike between an oak ridge and the water. There was a large gator hole about 100 yards away. As the owls started calling, I heard what sounded like a noise an ape would make, but very loud. The “ooow, ooow” sound was very quick and repetitive. All the animal noises stopped suddenly and it was very still. The wood ducks and squirrels that we feed took flight in a sudden burst of movement. After the calls, none returned and the area was very quiet, even the song birds.
I waited until a little before dark and walked out to meet the pick-up vehicle. I have heard several vocalizations similar to this before. Once as a teenager in Delaware while hunting the swamps around Phillips Landing in the Nanicoke Foest in southern Delaware. I could also hear something very large moving around. The second time was in Washington State while stationed there in the Navy, while walking through the Bremerton Watershed area with my new wife. That night we were followed down the logging road by something large that stayed in the brush and would stop when we did. That was also accompanied by a foul odor that even had an 80-lb. Rottweiler cowering, and we had to hold him with a leash to keep from running off.
ALSO NOTICED: Noises have been heard in the area by the lodge foreman in the past while hunting, sometime during the end of deer season.
OTHER WITNESSES: None of the rest of the hunting party was near me. We were spread out on four different stands.
OTHER STORIES: Same as above
TIME AND CONDITIONS: About 5:30 p.m. The weather was clear and in the upper 40’s with a variable wind with occasional gusts. A cold front was pushing trough after a day of steady rain.
ENVIRONMENT: Cypress and hardwood mixed swamp. Standing water to one side and a oak ridge on the other. Along the dike road which was about a mile long back into the swamp.

Follow-up investigation report by BFRO Investigator John G. Callender:
I spoke with the witness regarding his experience. While speaking about his hunting incident, he started by explaining how the woods go from day to night almost like a “click of a switch” as the nocturnal animals start to become active. He said it was about this time of day (approximately 5:30 p.m. EST) when the ape-like sounds started. What he heard raised the hairs on the back of his neck.
He said the sounds were almost “orangutan-like” in a series of seven vocalizations. He said almost instantly, to the south of him in the distance, he could hear a response to the seven vocalizations. He then heard a second set of vocalizations from the direction in which the original vocalizations were first heard, as if something was responding to the vocalizations to his south. There was not a second set of return vocalizations from the south, however.
The witness was adamant these sounds were natural and not man-made because he stated after all of the vocalizations ended, the birds briefly stopping chirping, and then matter-of-factly resumed their chirping, almost as if this was a daily occurrence.
Even though the personal account of the witness states, “After the calls, none returned and the area was very quiet, even the song birds.” he told me that after a brief time the birds did resume their chirping and singing as is these sounds were something they were used to.
His dog, a Rottweiler, ran when the vocalization started and did not want to return to the area. As he left the woods that day, he said he estimates the animal came within 50-60 yards of him, although he couldn’t completely say, due to the fact the area was very thickly wooded and covered with a thick growth of Palmettos.
According to the witness, “a lot of hunters” have heard these same sounds, although he believes he’s the first to officially make a report. He is very familiar with bear, alligators, and wild hogs and he’s certain that what he heard was not any of these animals. He stated that he heard vocalizations almost identical to what he heard on a “Mysterious Encounters” episode in early June of 2005.
The swamp he was hunting in comes off the Edisto River and its tributaries. He was hunting off a dike road with water approximately eight feet deep off to the sides. He did look for tracks, but said the road was very soft sand and no tracks or footprints were found.
He also made a brief reference to hunters hearing similar sounds in the Dismal Swamp area of North Carolina, although he’s not had an encounter himself there yet. He also said he was aware of three encounters near Camp Lejeune (Jacksonville, N.C.) and New Bern, N.C. with Marines who were on military training missions. At the conclusion of their training missions they were followed out of the woods by something that sounded very large and bipedal. After this experience, they refused to go back into the area without weapons. The witness believes it’s possible that the same animals are traveling back and forth between North Carolina and South Carolina by using the Intracostal Waterway as a possible “avenue” or “road” of travel.

About BFRO Investigator John G. Callender:
John Callender hails from Mississippi where he received a B.A. degree in accounting from the University of Mississippi (Ole Miss.) He now resides south of Seattle, Wash., and he works as a pilot for a major airline. John has done extensive field work in the Pacific Northwest, as well as Mississippi, and he has attended the following expeditions: WA – Oly Pen (Aug. ‘04); New Mexico (Jicarilla Apache SEP ‘04); WA – Oly Pen (October ‘04); CA – Redwoods (May ‘05); WA -Oly Pen -3, (AUG ‘05 ); WA Cascades Expedition (AUG ‘06); Central Oregon Expedition (JUNE ‘07), BC, Vancouver Island Expedition (SEPT 2007), WA Cascades Expedition (June ‘09), 2009 Washington Olympic Peninsula Expedition

July 21, 2007
STATE: South Carolina
COUNTY: Colleton County
NEAREST TOWN: Ashepoo in the ACE Basin National Esuarine Research Reserve.

OBSERVED: Hello, what I’m going to describe is real and nothing less.
My friend told me about this web site.
I’m going to tell you my story to the tee!
Saturday the 21 of July, two friends of mine went to the coastal region of S.C. on a relic hunt involving metal detectors in search of civil war relics.
I met them at a boat landing on the Ashepoo River to unload the boat for a 30-minute boat ride in alligator-infested water.
Arriving at our destination, we tied up the boat to a tree on the bank of the river. I’ve hunted here in the past during winter and encountered large boar.
It was very hard getting into the clearing because there is a narrow track of land with a 1700’s slave-dug dike on the right and on the left is a swamp that used to be probably rice or cotton fields.
We got into the opening, if you want to call it that compared what we went through to get there.
We had two-way radios set them up to the right channel so we could stay in touch in case of getting lost.
Well, after hunting for about two hours, I heard a boar grunt which I’m very familiar with from hunting in remote places. I ignored it and kept hunting.
A few minutes later, I met up with one of my partners and I asked him where Pete was, so he got on the radio. Pete replied he was left of our position about a mile. He went looking for new spots to hunt. I looked at Dennis and decided to take a five-minute break because of the intense heat, but sitting still we were swarmed with skeeters.
Dennis went to check out some large oaks on a hill. So I went right in some pines where the slave cabins were. About 10 minutes later I heard a loud “ WOOP.” I took my headphones off and ducked, thinking first instinct that some one else was out there; but again I heard it loud as day “WOOP.” It was definitely — repeat — definitely ape sounding.
Then I heard a large stick hit a tree three times about 100 yards away. Then about 15-20 seconds later, I heard it again hitting another tree. This time it was further off towards the river. Before I heard anything, I smelled a foul stench in the breeze, but that’s not concrete evidence because of the dead boar I found in the past.
I do believe in bigfoot and was happy this happened to me. I was not scared one bit but did get goose bumps.
I could see someone’s mind play tricks on them, if they were actually out looking for them, but I was concentrating on finding relics.
I just can’t fully describe the sound it was so deep and DEFINITELY APE.
I hope y’all take full interest in this as much as I do. Thanks Eddie…
TIME AND CONDITIONS: Around 3-4, I did not have a watch.
ENVIRONMENT: Uninhabitatable for humans, swamp pines and lots of vegetation.

Follow-up investigation report by BFRO Investigator: Leevon Patrick:
The witness is a collector of items from the Civil War era and frequently hunts in areas where old Civil War camps used to be. He takes old maps and overlays them with the new ones in order to locate his target areas. The plantation ruin he visited in July is only reached by boat, as the tide dictates the area’s accessibility.
The witness and his friends had split up over the area and were wearing headphones in order to listen to their metal detectors. The witness did not have the frequency up high when he heard the first vocalization. He recounted being watched and a powerful smell came over him. The wood knocks came from two separate directions, with the closest one 100 yards away from him. He radioed his friends and they heard nothing. The witness had a feeling about what could be in there with him and did not feel it was menacing. He recalled the first time being in the area finding boar kills. The kills were near one another and the stomachs were ripped open. He recalled the scene as very unusual.
The area the men were relic hunting in is listed as a plantation ruin in coastal S.C. It is surrounded by swamp and impenetrable with vegetation in places. Cyprus and oak trees create a thick canopy overhead. Large venomous snakes, gators and wild pigs lend to the area’s inhospitality.
The witness sent me photographs of his find.

May 2, 2009
STATE: South Carolina
COUNTY: Colleton County
LOCATION DETAILS: Hwy. 61 about halfway between Canady and Givhans, near Edisto River.
NEAREST TOWN: Between Canady and Givehans

OBSERVED: I was traveling down Highway 61 between Canadys and Givhans headed East at 10 minutes after eight in the morning. I saw what I perceived as a man walking up to the side of the road. The sun was up high enough that I had put the visor back into normal position, but it backlit the man, so all I could see was a silhouette.
I assumed it was a man going to cross the road to a mailbox. He was far enough ahead that I did not take my foot of the gas pedal, but watched him cross the road. As I approached, I was concerned he may step back into the road without looking, so I let off the gas and looked for him.
He was gone! There was no mailbox, no man, not even a house. Both sides of the road were thick woods. I slowed way down to look for him but I could not find hide nor hair of any one. He was nowhere to be found.
Now I began thinking about what I had really seen. He had walked up to the road from the right in a leisurely manner, what I call a “mosie.” When he stepped into the road, his first stride put him in the center of my lane. His second step put him at the centerline. He crossed the road in four steps and at no time during this did the sun show between his legs above the knee.
This was a big man. His hands had swung in front and behind his body as he walked. There was nothing in his hands. A hunter would have had a gun or a bow with him. I could see no color distinction between any parts of his body. Why would a man be crossing the road from one patch of wood to another at 8:10 a.m.? A really big man.
I went on to where I was headed, but noted a few landmarks so I could find the place again that afternoon on my return trip. Which I did. I stopped and walked up and down that spot in the road. I crossed the road in 10 steps or six hard strides, but I did not find any thing to tell me what I seen that morning.
ALSO NOTICED: Not that I know of.
OTHER STORIES: Yes, reported sightings in your web site.
TIME AND CONDITIONS: 8:10 a.m., an hour and a half after sunrise. Clear sunny day.
ENVIRONMENT: Farm land, thick woods and swamp.

Follow-up investigation report by BFRO Investigator MB Pope:
The witness was interviewed by phone just a few days after his sighting. A field investigation to the area was conducted with 3 BFRO investigators one week after the sighting.
 The area in which the sighting occurred is relatively rural, with farms and houses dotted along the highway. There is also a sand mine in operation about a mile or so away.
 The Edisto River is just north and parallel to the sighting area. The highway crosses the river a few miles away as it meanders south and there are numerous swamps and wetland areas in and around the river and the sighting area.
 The point at which the sasquatch crossed the road in front of the witness is heavily wooded. On the south side of the road there is an embankment which leads to a path through the woods and eventually part of a farm.
 On the north side of the road there is another embankment that leads into a heavily wooded swampy area. There is also standing water at the bottom of the embankment, which is part of the wetlands/swamp.
 He did not see any facial features.
 The figure walked from one side of the road clear to the other side in four strides, moving at a steady pace, but in no way was the animal in a hurry.
 The witness was enroute to an appointment and was short on time. He returned in the early afternoon and spent some time at the site looking for tracks or any other evidence.

About BFRO Investigator MB Pope:
Lives in coastal South Carolina and is self employed in construction and development. Loves the outdoors and has hiked throughout the Pacific Northwest, the Rockies, Chile, Argentina, and the Appalachians. She attended BFRO in SC (2007), NC (2008), and Georgia (2008). She attended the 2009 expeditions in North Carolina and Georgia.

For more information visit https://www.bfro.net

No comments yet.

The comments are closed.

© Copyright 2018 | Walterboro Live