Airport drainage system getting upgrade | News | The Press and Standard

by | April 20, 2017 5:00 pm

Last Updated: April 19, 2017 at 10:28 am

Photo by BARRY MOORE
IPW Construction Group of Charleston County, tasked with upgrading the storm drainage system, moved onto the Lowcountry Regional Airport as April began. Lowcountry Regional Airport Manager Tommy Rowe said that the work involves the replacement of the storm drainage system under the airport’s concrete ramp just outside the terminal. The repair was is necessary, Rowe explained, because the existing drainage pipes under the concrete ramp have deteriorated. As the old drainage system failed, it created voids below ground that  resulted in problems with the concrete. The repair work was estimated to cost approximately $770,000. The Federal Aviation Administration is covering 90 percent of the costs. The state and the airport commission are combining to cover the remaining 10 percent of the project’s cost. Rowe said IPW is replacing the old storm water system one section at a time to limit the amount of disruption to the use of the ramp. After the repairs have been made and a new layer of concrete poured and cured, the work will move onto another section of the ramp.

© Copyright 2017 | Walterboro Live