Christmas at Edisto begins this weekend | News | The Press and Standard
by The Press and Standard | November 25, 2016 5:00 am
Last Updated: November 28, 2016 at 1:02 pm
The Edisto Island and Edisto Beach communities have been busy cleaning up and clearing out since Hurricane Matthew blew through in early October, and now they’re ready to celebrate the holidays, island-style. This beautiful coastal treasure is a popular destination year-round, but shines even brighter during the holidays. The abundant natural resources combine with annual celebrations that capture both the beauty and spirit of this quiet costal island destination in the South Carolina Lowcountry. The season begins with special shopping events Thanksgiving weekend and leads up to a benefit concert to help hurricane victims on Dec. 12.
Starting Thanksgiving weekend, several open house shopping events will give residents and visitors the chance to find gifts for anyone on their list.
- On Friday Nov. 25, the Edisto Museum Annual Open House and Sale will be held from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. More information is available by calling 843-869-1954 or by visiting www.edistomuseum.org.
- With These Hands Gallery will mark the holiday weekend with a shopping event starting Friday Nov. 25 through Sunday Nov. 27. The unveiling of the Giving Tree will take place on Saturday, Nov. 26. All proceeds from ornaments sold on the tree will be donated to Edisto United, an organization that will help families and children in need this holiday season. For more information, visit www.withthesehandsgallery.com.
- This year, Magpie & Company will debut on Edisto Beach with a holiday open house on Friday Nov. 25 from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. Located at 114 Jungle Road, Suite J (in Palmetto Plaza), they offer gifts, home décor, and vintage finds. For more information about upcoming events and craft classes, visit the Magpie & Company Facebook page.
- On Saturday Nov. 26, shoppers can take a break and enjoy fresh oysters and other goodies at Flowers Seafood’s 5th Annual Oyster Roast. The event will be held from 6-10 p.m. at 1919 Highway 174. Tickets are $20 in advance or $25 at the door. For more information, call 843-869-0033.
- The weekend on Saturday Dec. 3 at 3 p.m. and on Sunday Dec. 4 at 7 p.m., the Edisto Community Chorus will present its annual Christmas concert. Both performances will be held at the Edisto Beach Baptist Church, located at 414 Jungle Road on Edisto Beach. For more information, call 843-869-2662.
- Also on Sunday Dec. 4 from 4-8 p.m., Edisto United is throwing its annual fundraiser at Big Bay Creek Park, 3706 Docksite Road, with oysters, barbeque, beer/wine, live music, raffles and fun all on the menu for just $30 in advance or $35 at the door. Tickets are available at With These Hands Gallery or McConkey’s Jungle Shack.
- During the island’s three-day Christmas celebration, set to run from Friday Dec. 9 through Sunday Dec. 11, the Edisto community will sponsor several holiday traditions, starting with the annual boat parade, which will kick off the celebration on Friday. Viewers can gather at Bay Creek Park at sunset to watch the parade. Local church choirs will perform Christmas music and the Town of Edisto Beach will light its Christmas tree after the boat parade. These events will take place from 5-7 p.m. at 3706 Docksite Road on Edisto Beach.
- On Dec. 10, local merchants and gift shops will participate in a Holiday “Poker Walk.” During this event, residents and visitors can do a little Christmas shopping and help support Edisto, all while seeing who can collect the best “poker hand” and win an Edisto prize. Participating merchants and rules of the event will be listed on the Edisto Chamber website and Facebook page prior to the event.
- At the center of this three-day celebration will be the 26th annual Edisto Christmas Parade, which will begin at 2 p.m. on Saturday Dec. 10. Sponsored by the Edisto Chamber of Commerce, the parade will start at the 600 block of Palmetto Boulevard along Edisto Beach and end at the Pavilion next to the Edisto Beach State Park. This year’s theme will be “The Coast is Clear for an Edisto Christmas.”
- Santa Claus will arrive just in time for the parade, but will remain on Edisto Beach long enough to visit with any children who may still need to share their lists with him. After the parade, Santa will welcome children at McConkey’s Jungle Shack from 3:30-5:30 p.m. on Saturday Dec. 10. McConkey’s Jungle Shack is located behind Bi-Lo (at the termination of the parade route) at 108 Jungle Road, Edisto Beach.
- At the close of the three-day celebration, the Shem Creek Boogie Band will host a benefit concert for hurricane relief for Edisto. They will perform at Bay Creek Park on Sunday Dec. 11 at 2 p.m. The suggested donation is $10 per person. Proceeds will go to the local Ministerial Alliance for Edisto families in need due to damage from Hurricane Matthew. Bay Creek Park is located at 3706 Docksite Road, Edisto Beach.
More information on this weekend’s activities will be posted on Facebook or at www.edistochamber.com as it becomes available.