Williams, Kirkland ruled eligible to play for Ft. Dorchester | Sports | The Press and Standard

by | August 26, 2016 4:12 pm

Former CCHS football players Kwasi Kirkland and Justin Williams have been ruled eligible to play for Ft. Dorchester by the S.C. High School League.

“Based on the information provided to us by the schools, our investigation found the two students to be eligible under league rules to participate as transfer students at the school they are now attending,” said SCHSL official Skip Lax. Questions were raised about the two students’ eligibility to play for Ft. Dorchester based on SCHSL enrollment/residency requirements.Kwasi Kirkland 2

Dr. Melissa Crosby, Principal of Colleton County High School, presented information surrounding the transfers of both Williams and Kirkland to the League office in late July.

Colleton County plays Ft. Dorchester tonight at 7:30 in Walterboro.

1. Comment by Ms. Truth

August 26, 2016 at 4:25 pm

The moment when the principle tries to stop a parents intentions for their child’s future is a sad day in Colleton County

2. Comment by Delois

August 27, 2016 at 8:33 am

3. Comment by Shanika Rhodes

August 27, 2016 at 9:15 am

Kwasi is my nephew and his mother did what she thought was best for her child, and my brother fully supported her decision. Both Kwasi and Justin are good well mannered boys, who LOVE football, and wanted to be HAPPY doing what they love. As a mother, I would have done the same thing for my son! I say congratulations to these kids and Fort Dorchester on their win against Colleton County last night!! Bobby Lee Swartz to speak ill of children just shows how big of an asshole you are, did you attend the game last night or nah? You big or little mad? I bet you wouldnt do have as much for your kids as my nephew’s mom does for him. Yes he is a spoiled ***, but HE DESERVES AND EARNS everything he gets!!

4. Comment by Ted Nugent

August 27, 2016 at 11:06 am

Haters gonna hate, player’s gonna play. The players played last night!! Keep your heads up boys and prove the haters wrong. Focus on the important things in life like God, family and education and everything will fall into place for you. Best of luck!!

5. Comment by Delois

August 27, 2016 at 12:12 pm

FYI: Doc.
    Slander- the communication of a FALSE statement that harms the reputation of an individual/person. Therefore the claim that these two young men are still residing in Colleton Co. and commuting to N. Charlestown daily, is a FALSE statement and it questions the integrity of them and their parents. Hence, that is defamation of character, even after being proved wrong by the H. S. League!!! Still baffles me how they quote the league rules and obviously still can’t interpret, wowwww(misspelled intentionally). And yet, coverage of the issue seems totally biased, I have yet to see where an attempt was made to inquire with the parent about where they reside NOW!
    I Totally agree with wishing Justin and Kwasi the best of luck as they move on in their lives, ………PLEASE just let them!! Best wishes too all the courageous young men that took that field last night from Colleton County as well. SUPPORT OUR YOUTH. BTW……this has happened before and no media coverage and at least 1 other player left this team with no conflict this season…….makes you wonder what is this all about?

6. Comment by John

August 27, 2016 at 12:42 pm

First of all Dr. Rosenrosen I am not jealous of anyone just want what’s best for the kids and I know coach Collins is not the solution.
    The numbers never lie Dr. By the way I got two master degree and two bachelor degrees, so to let you know I am not illiterate very intelligent.

7. Comment by Bobby Lee Swartz

August 27, 2016 at 3:33 pm

Glad I could start such an intelligent discussion. To clear the air, I’d first like to apologize for insulting the character of these two young men. I don’t know them personally and was upset at the result of last night’s contest. I’m sure both are good kids and I hope they have a successful future. For my original comment, I’m truly sorry as a cooler head has prevailed.
    As a member of this community for the last 50+ years, I’ve witnessed the ups and downs of high school athletics. The worst thing in my opinion was consolidation into a county school. This has robbed us of our community identity. I’m glad that these boys are into sports instead of out on the street gangbanging like many of our youth in the community are today, for that I’m thankful. The fact of the matter is that we are never going to get better until we pay someone to do the job. Colleton County is nothing more than a resume builder for a lot people who work in the school district. Until this district compensates its employees with competitive wages, we are going to continue to have this issue. Why would anyone want the job as AD/football coach here when they could drive 30 miles in any direction and make 10 to 15k more per year. The same is true for administrators and teachers. The problem lies at the top with the school board and trickles down through the district office. Vote these people out, and hand the rest their pink slips.

8. Comment by Voice

August 27, 2016 at 7:34 pm

I’ll wait………because enough is enough! If you’re not trying to fix the long overdue problem in Colleton County then YOU ARE PART OF THE PROBLEM! THAT’S FOR ALL THE DOCTORS, ADMINISTRATION EMPLOYEES ETC!!!!! #SAVEOURYOUTH!

9. Comment by Voice

August 27, 2016 at 7:42 pm

Thanks to Mr . Bobby for acknowledge he was wrong but this is the conversation we need to have here in Colleton County! Parents don’t allow your children to be bully by ANYONE! Teach them to stand up for what’s wrong and not go along! Community stand in front of our youth because we’re losing them everyday whether by hands of police or killing themselves. We’re in a crisis. Teach them the importance of voting and its’ history! This is 1 of the most important elections of all time. We made history already twice..”Obama Baby” but if we don’t vote “they’ll” make history of us! Wake up my people!

10. Comment by Bulldog Bill

August 27, 2016 at 10:03 pm

It takes a big person to admit when they’re are wrong. Bobby Lee, thanks for that. I’d also like to thank you for bringing up what the real problem in this county is, the school board and its district level administrators. This county has suffered long enough with corruption at all levels of its government, especially the school district. As the husband of a retired educator, I’ve seen first hand how inadequate and underfunded our current schools are. While the high school is state of the art, our middle and elementary schools are crumbling and 20 years behind the curve on technology. Meanwhile the fat cats in the DO earn their 6 figure salaries and put more and more constraints on educators who earn **** near the state minimum. The school board hires and approves these DO administrators. I place the blame on them! Vote for a change on Nov. 8.
    On a side note, these two young men would have made great Bulldogs!

11. Comment by John

August 27, 2016 at 10:15 pm

Yes mam Dr. Rosenrosen I understand I might should make complete sentence but I have two master from University of South Carolina in math and computer science, so sorry I am not good in writing but being a doctor you understand what I am saying but we both agree that it ain’t about us it’s about the kids so let’s vote for change in our district

12. Comment by Voice

August 27, 2016 at 11:41 pm

Bulldog Bill ABSOUTLEY! CORRUPTION! WE MUST SAVE OUR CHILDREN AND TO KNOW WHEN PEOPLE CONTROL YOUR DISTRICT THEY DON’T RESIDE IN BUT SAY THEY WANT WHAT’S IN THE BEST INTEREST OF OUR CHILDREN….HOW?

13. Comment by Voice

August 28, 2016 at 5:51 pm

No need to delete we have them all!

The comments are closed.