window.dataLayer = window.dataLayer || []; function gtag(){dataLayer.push(arguments);} gtag('js', new Date()); gtag('config', 'UA-123779972-1');

Walterboro man plays a key role in death investigation | News | The Press and Standard

by | August 31, 2016 3:21 pm

Last Updated: August 31, 2016 at 3:23 pm

A Walterboro man is at the heart of the investigation into the alleged kidnapping and murder of a New York teenager who disappeared from Myrtle Beach.

The disappearance of Brittanee Drexel, 17, of Rochester, N.Y. has remained in the public eye since she disappeared in 2009.Brown Mug

In June, law enforcement officials conducted a press conference in McClellanville, reporting they had information that led them to believe that Drexel had been murdered.

The choice of McClellanville as the site of the press conference was intentional, as the investigation had determined her cell phone was last used in the McClellanville area.

In mid-August, an FBI agent appearing at a detention hearing in Charleston federal court testified that some of that information had been provided investigators by Taquan Brown, a Walterboro man in state prison after being convicted on a charge of voluntary manslaughter and other felony counts in Colleton County General Sessions Court.

That detention hearing was held to determine if bond should be set for Timothy Da’Shaun Taylor, 25, of McClellanville on two federal charges filed earlier this summer in connection with his participation in the 2011 armed robbery of a Charleston-area fast food restaurant. Taylor had already been found guilty of the crime in state court and had been placed on probation.

During the detention hearing, an F.B.I agent who had been working the Brittanee Drexel case testified that information provided by Brown led them to consider Taylor to be a person of interest in the kidnapping, sexual assault and murder of Drexel.

The agent testified that Brown claimed he was outside a house owned by the Taylor family McClellanville when a female ran out of the house. She was recaptured and taken back into the residence.

Shortly after she was returned to the home, Brown told investigators he heard two gunshots. Then someone carried out and took away what he believed was the woman wrapped in cloth.

Federal investigators believe that Drexel’s body was then tossed into an alligator pit.

Federal prosecutors said they were opposing bond because they considered Taylor a flight risk.

After receiving more sealed information from the prosecutors and Taylor’s defense attorney about a week after the hearing, the federal magistrate decided Taylor could be released on $10,000 secured bond. He was ordered to wear an ankle monitor to ensure that Taylor stayed at his residence.

Federal and local investigators continue to work the case. No one has been charged in connection with the case as yet.


No comments yet.

The comments are closed.

© Copyright 2019 | Walterboro Live