CCFR saves Cottageville home from blaze | News | The Press and Standard

by | August 21, 2016 3:00 pm

Last Updated: August 21, 2016 at 9:38 am

Colleton County Fire-Rescue firefighters saved a Cottageville home early on the morning of Aug. 13. At 2:59 a.m. the 9-1-1 dispatch center received a call from the homeowner reporting the residence was on fire. The first fire unit arriving at 11408 Cottageville Highway reported heavy black smoke coming from the eaves on all sides of the building with flames visible from the roof at the rear of the single-story wood frame structure. Crews deployed two hand lines and found most of the fire was in the attic. Because access to the attic was limited, firefighters were forced to pull down the tongue-and-grove ceiling in several areas to extinguish the flames. The fire originated in a trash can in a small bathroom and burned through a wall. The balloon-frame construction allowed the fire to quickly extend into the attic. Most of the fire damage was contained to the attic over the bathroom and a large closet, where the roof was burned away. The interior of the home suffered light smoke damage and most belongings were saved. Water supply for the firefighters’ efforts was provided by a water tender shuttle. Firefighters were on the scene for four hours. All occupants were able to safely exit the building and no injuries were reported.

No comments yet.


The comments are closed.

© Copyright 2019 | Walterboro Live