Fire damages Cottageville home | News | The Press and Standard

by | February 3, 2016 5:00 pm

Last Updated: February 3, 2016 at 2:16 pm

Two children playing with a lighter are believed to have caused a Monday afternoon house fire in the Cottageville area.
Colleton County Fire-Rescue were sent to the home Monday at approximately 1:45 p.m. when the home’s fire alarm system reported the blaze at 2161 Rhode Drive to the county’s 911 center. After receiving the alarm, dispatchers  were able to make contact with the homeowner who said there was a fire in the home.
Fire-Rescue crews arrived minutes later to find a large amount of smoke coming from all sides of the single-story brick veneer dwelling.
An adult male was transported to Colleton Medical Center with respiratory problems resulting from smoke inhalation after he attempted to enter the burning structure, but he was driven back out of the home by heavy smoke.
He attempted to enter the residence to search for a child he thought was still inside. Fortunately, the child was still at school, Colleton County Fire-Rescue Chief Barry McRoy said.
Firefighter-paramedics entered through the front door, where they encountered heavy fire conditions in the living room. They quickly knocked down the fire, which had vented through the front windows.
The back of the residence was also heavily involved. Crews worked their way to the back bedrooms and had the fire contained within 15 minutes.
The interior of the residence suffered substantial damage. The doors to two bedrooms were closed, which helped save many items in those rooms.
The Red Cross is assisting the family of seven. Fire crews were on the scene for two-and-a-half hours.

No comments yet.


The comments are closed.

© Copyright 2018 | Walterboro Live