window.dataLayer = window.dataLayer || []; function gtag(){dataLayer.push(arguments);} gtag('js', new Date()); gtag('config', 'UA-123779972-1');

Fire damages Beach Road home | News | The Press and Standard

by | February 5, 2016 1:49 pm

An adult male safety escaped his burning home on Beach Road after he was awakened by a smoke alarm Feb.5.

The man was asleep on the living room couch when the fire started in a bedroom.

The closed bedroom door contained the flames until they burned through the door and entered the hall, setting off the smoke alarm.

Colleton County Fire-Rescue was alerted to the fire at 4:58 a.m. Firefighters arrived from Station One, located one-and-a-half miles away, four minutes later.

Firefighter-paramedics found heavy smoke conditions coming from the single-story wood frame dwelling, and fire was visible through the front bedroom windows.

Firefighters made entry through the front door and were able to quickly knock down the fire in the hall and contain the blaze to the bedroom, keeping it from entering the attic.

The bedroom suffered extensive damage, but the rest of the home was saved, receiving moderate smoke damage.

Firefighters searched the residence and rescued a cat. Paramedics performed a rapid exam and determined that the feline appeared to be in good condition without exhibiting any signs of distress.

The electrical power was out in the area due to a tree knocking down power lines just west of the home. Firefighters suspect that the loss of electrical service caused an electrical short that started the fire.

Fire units were on the scene for two hours.

No comments yet.

The comments are closed.

© Copyright 2019 | Walterboro Live